1/ A Colorado judge ruled that Trump “engaged in an insurrection,” but said the 14th Amendment doesn’t apply to the presidency. Colorado District Court Judge Sarah Wallace found Trump “engaged in an insurrection” on Jan. 6, 2021, but concluded that it doesn’t apply to presidents because the provision explicitly bans insurrectionists from serving as senators, representatives, and presidential electors – but it doesn’t say anything about the presidency. Meaning, Trump can still appear on that state’s presidential primary ballot next year. However, the group that filed the lawsuit appealed the ruling, saying: “No court should adopt an interpretation of the Constitution that has such absurd results.” Trump, meanwhile, also has appealed the decision, taking issue with the judge’s finding that he “engaged” in the Jan. 6 insurrection. The case is expected to eventually reach the U.S. Supreme Court. (CNN / USA Today / Politico / The Guardian / Washington Post)
- 🤔 The Bizarre Reason a Colorado Judge Didn’t Disqualify Trump From Running in 2024. “Judge Sarah Wallace found the case that the former president violated the Fourteenth Amendment compelling. Then she found a way to ignore her own judgment.” (The New Republic)
- 🤔 Republican Who Voted To Impeach Trump Says He Would Still Vote For Trump. “Former Representative Peter Meijer described Trump’s actions on January 6 as ‘disqualifying.’ Now, as he mounts a run for Senate, the Michigan Republican is backtracking: ‘My overarching goal is to make Joe Biden a one-term president.’” (Vanity Fair)
2/ Israel and Hamas are near a “truce deal” to release some hostages seized by Hamas in Israel in exchange for a pause in fighting in Gaza. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called for the Israeli government to back the proposed deal that could include around 50 women and children being exchanged for around 150 Israeli-held Palestinian prisoners, and lead to a 4-to-5-day pause in fighting. As part of the deal, Israel would also allow around 300 aid trucks per day to enter Gaza from Egypt. The numbers are subject to change and the deal could still fall apart. As Netanyahu convened his Cabinet for a vote, he emphasized that a pause in fighting to get hostages out wouldn’t lead to a cease-fire, saying: “There is nonsense out there as if after the pause in fighting, we will stop the war. We are at war and we will continue it until we achieve all the objectives. We will eliminate Hamas, return all the hostages and guarantee that there will be no element in Gaza that threatens Israel.” (New York Times / Washington Post / ABC News / CNN / NBC News / Axios / Associated Press / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal / Vox)
3/ The owner of the social media company formerly known as Twitter sued a nonprofit organization for defamation after it published research highlighting antisemitic and pro-Nazi content on the social media platform. Last week, Media Matters reported that X/Twitter “has been placing ads for major brands” like Apple, Amazon, and IBM “next to content that touts Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party.” Multiple businesses, including IBM, Apple, Warner Bros. Discovery, Sony, Comcast, and Disney, subsequently suspended their advertising on the platform. Elon Musk, meanwhile, endorsed an antisemitic conspiracy theory last week, which has been widely criticized, including by the White House. Shortly after Musk filed his “thermonuclear lawsuit,” Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton opened an investigation into Media Matters for “potential fraudulent activity.” Media Matters called the lawsuits “frivolous,” and said the organization “stands behind its reporting and looks forward to winning in court.” Separately, more than two dozen House Democrats accused Musk of “profiting off violent content by a terrorist organization” and demanded that he address Hamas-related content on the social media platform that “has become a hotbed of misinformation and terrorist propaganda.” (The Verge / CNN / Washington Post / New York Times / Axios / Associated Press / Texas Tribune)
- 🤔 Does Elon Musk’s Media Matters Lawsuit Have a Chance? ”“It’s one of those lawsuits that’s filed more for symbolism than for substance — as reflected in just how empty the allegations really are.” (Intelligencer)
- 🤔 “PR stunt masquerading as a lawsuit”: Experts slam Elon Musk’s attack on Media Matters’ reporting. (Salon.com)
- 🤔 Ron DeSantis Says He’s Never Personally Witnessed Elon Musk Attacking Jews When Asked About X Post Attacking Jews. (Vanity Fair)
Become a member.
Help keep WTF Just Happened Today going with a small contribution.